Skipping the barley and adding cauliflower rice at the end of the cooking time adds texture to this delicious soup without the added carbs.
Low Carb Beef "Barley" Soup
This recipe also works really well with leftover roast beef, just skip ahead to step 4.
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cups stewing beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups good quality beef stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower rice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in frying pan over medium/high heat. Add beef and and sear on all sides.
- Take beef out of frying pan, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add wine to pan to deglaze scraping up the remaining bits of meat. Add this to large soup pot.
- Add the remaining oil, carrots, celery, onion and garlic to frying pan and saute until cooked part way though. Add to soup pot.
- Cut meat into smaller bite size pieces (2 cm) and add to pot.
- Add beef broth, bay leaves, thyme. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice and salt and pepper and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.