Today’s installment of Sometimes You Gotta Carb…my mom’s recipe for chocolate bread pudding. Total comfort food and a family favourite – a great way to use up bread that has been sitting around for a while. This version is crispy and buttery on top and soft in the middle without being soggy. We serve it for breakfast or dessert. Delicious!
Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding
- 8 slices white bread, cubed best to use bread that is a bit stale
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 5 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, add eggs, milk, 1 cup sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Add egg mixture to bread and stir. Press bread down until the egg mixture is absorbed. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Grease a medium sized baking sheet with 2 tbsp of butter. Add bread mixture and press down. Dot the top of the bread with the remaining butter and sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes until edges are brown and bread springs back from the touch.
- Serve with heavy cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!