I’m all about the cauliflower rice. I always keep a few bags in my freezer to use in my favourite recipes as a substitute for regular rice. A recipe came across my feed recently for a vegan risotto using broccoli rice and it looked so delicious. I can live without the rice but I can’t have risotto without the Parmesan so here is my version of Low Carb Lemon & Asparagus Risotto with all the yummy dairy. Hope you like it!
Low Carb Lemon and Asparagus Risotto
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp concentrated vegetable stock I use Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups asparagus tips
- olive oil for cooking
- 5 green onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 cups frozen cauliflower rice thawed
- Juice and zest from 1/2 fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tbsp or more grated parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add in the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the cream, and add the stock cube. Whisk in the stock and cornstarch and allow the mixture to thicken slightly.
- In a separate pan, saute the asparagus lightly and set aside.
- Squeeze as much water from the cauliflower rice as possible and add this into the frying pan and cook through.
- Add the asparagus to the risotto and stir * Add in the lemon juice and zest, thyme leaves, parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with some extra asparagus and more parmesan on top.