My husband is a type 1 diabetic, so many years ago we switched to a mostly low carb diet to help stabilize his blood sugar and for our overall health. For years I’ve been taking our favourite comfort foods and switching up the ingredients to make them low carb and healthier. We tend to stay away from potatoes because they crank up the blood sugar so I use a lot of cauliflower in my recipes – like this recipe for low carb vichyssoise. It’s velvety, savory,goodness!
Cauliflower Leek Soup
- 3 leeks white and light green part only, chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Garnish optional chopped chives, creme fraiche or sour cream, pancetta crisps
- Blanche cauliflower and set aside. In a small stock pot, saute onions, leeks and garlic in butter and olive oil until lightly caramelized. Add cauliflower and stock and simmer until cooked through. Add contents to a blender and blend thoroughly. Transfer to a sauce pan, add cream and bring to a light boil. Add nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped chives, a dollop of creme fraiche and pancetta if desired.