One of my favourite fall meals – sausage stuffed acorn squash. The filling features savory Italian sausage, diced apple, onions and fresh sage, stuffed inside perfectly roasted squash then topped with parmesan and broiled. A wholesome and easy to prepare recipe that the whole family will love. It’s a win win!
Acorn Squash Stuffed with Sausage, Apple and Sage
- 2 medium acorn squash halved, seeds removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 small apples peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage diced finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place squash skin side down on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 40 minutes or until squash pierces easily with a fork.
- While squash is roasting, prepare the sausage filling. Add sausage to frying pan over medium heat and cook. Using a wooden spoon, break up larger pieces of sausage so that all pieces are relatively uniform in size.
- When sausage is cooked 3/4 of the way through, add the onion and garlic to the frying pan. Cook until onions are translucent. Add apples and sage and continue cooking until apples soften and sausage is browned and fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Take acorn squash out of oven, using a soup spoon, scoop a little squash out of each half and add it to sausage. Mix to combine.
- Fill each half half of squash evenly with the sausage mixture. Top with parmesan cheese and return to oven for 15 minutes. Enjoy!