This delicious soup is vegan AND low carb! Filled with fresh veggies, konjac noodles and flavourful smoked tofu, you won’t miss the meat or carbs!
Konjac noodles, also called shirataki, are made from the konjac plant. Konjac is high in viscous fiber – a prebiotic that nourishes the bacteria living in your gut, can fight inflammation and boost immune function. Konjac noodles are very low in calories and carbs but very filling.
Smoked tofu is really easy to make. All you need is the following:
- Tofu. I like extra-firm tofu best for this recipe.
- Soy sauce. I prefer to use low sodium soy sauce.
- Liquid smoke. You can find this in with the barbecue sauces at your supermarket.
- Onion powder and garlic powder. For extra flavour
- Avocado Oil. Avocado oil has a high smoke point and works best for cooking at high temperatures. Canola oil also works.
- To save time, you can use frozen diced butternut squash in place of fresh.
- Add the broccoli into the soup near the end of the cooking time so it doesn’t get too soft.
- Use a variety of mushrooms this this recipe. In addition to white mushrooms, I also like to add shiitaki (just remove the stems prior to chopping as they can be a bit woody), enoki and oyster mushrooms.
This recipe is quick and easy to prepare and so comforting! This recipe will serve 4 or 2 with leftovers.
Thai Green Curry Soup With Smoked Tofu
- 1 - 350 g pkg extra firm tofu diced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder & onion powder
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
Thai Curry Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 small cans coconut milk
- 6 tbsp green curry paste i.e. Thai Kitchen
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 2 - 385g pkgs konjac noodles rinsed well in cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped cilantro and green onion for garnish (optional)
- Add tofu cubes to medium sized bowl. Add soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion and garlic powder and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Add avocado oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add onion and garlic. Stir and cook for a minute longer.
- Add stock, coconut milk and curry paste to the stock pot. Use a whisk to incorporate the paste into the liquid. Next add the butternut squash and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or so until squash is cooked through.
- While soup is simmering, heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over med-high heat. Add tofu to hot pan and brown on all sides. Turn down to low to keep warm.
- Add konjac noodles and broccoli to soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue simmering soup for several minutes until broccoli is cooked through.
- Add lime juice to soup, check the seasoning. Divide soup between 4 bowls. Top with tofu, cilantro and green onion and serve.