This hearty, satisfying soup is a great way to use up that leftover roast ham.
Leftover Roast Ham and Red Lentil Soup
- 1 ham bone
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- Place ham bone in soup pot with water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Saute onion, carrots and celery with the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Remove ham bone from soup pot. Add the sautéed vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients (minus the kale). Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning as desired.