A change from the usual chicken noodle, this soup has it all; bone broth, chunks of chicken, navy beans, bacon and swiss chard. Perfect dinner for a chilly night and even better the next day!
Hearty Chicken and Navy Bean Soup
Protein packed and so good for you!
- 5 rashers bacon diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken bone broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 1/2 cups canned navy beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- Spike seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups swiss chard sliced into ribbons
- grated parmesan for garnish
- parsley chopped, for garnish
- Sauté bacon for a couple of minutes over medium heat in a large pot. Add olive oil, celery, carrots, onion and garlic and continue sautéing for a few more minutes.
- Add bone broth, bay leaves, chicken, navy beans, thyme to pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes until vegetables are tender and flavours are melded.
- Add swiss chard and seasoning to taste and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with grated parmesan and chopped parsley if desired.