A delicious dish that’s easy enough to prepare on a busy weeknight and elegant enough to serve to guests.
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Brown Butter, Crispy Prosciutto and Sage
Brown butter sauce is probably the easiest, most flavourful sauce you can make. Melted over medium low heat, the butter transforms into a rich and delicate nutty sauce. A little goes a long way. Each head of cauliflower will give 2-3 “steaks,” depending upon the side of the head of cauliflower.Once you cut the steaks you'll find you have a handful of leftover florets from the side of the head of cauliflower. Save them for another recipe or just cook them on the grill with the steaks.This recipe works as a main dish for 4 people or a side for 6 with leftovers.Make this dish vegetarian by omitting the prosciutto and adding chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh sage coarsely chopped
- 8 slices prosciutto diced
- 2/3 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the outer leaves from each cauliflower head. Resting the cauliflower on the bottom stem, use a large, sharp knife to trim away the sides, then cut each remaining head into 3 "steaks."
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over low-medium heat. When the butter begins to get just slightly bubbly, add the chopped prosciutto. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped sage to the butter and continue stirring and cooking the mixture for 1 to 2 additional minutes, until the butter has turned very light brown and has a rich, nutty aroma. Keep warm.
- Heat grill to medium (about 350 degrees F). Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the oiled side down on the hot grill, then brush the tops of the steaks with the olive oil and add more salt and pepper. Cover the grill and let cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the bottom is beginning to char. Flip the cauliflower, then re-cover the grill and cook 5 additional minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from the grill and place on a large platter. Spoon sauce over top of cauliflower and serve immediately.