These vegetarian stuffed mushroom caps are one of my favorite go-to appetizers for dinner parties. They’re easy to make and are always a hit. In my original recipe, I use bread crumbs but lately I’ve been using ground almonds or hazelnuts to make this recipe low carb. Hope you enjoy!
Cheese Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- 18 white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red pepper finely diced
- 1/3 cup shallots finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp ground almonds or hazelnuts (or fine bread crumbs)
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh finely chopped
- Clean mushrooms using a dry pastry brush or paper towel to remove any dirt. Carefully pop out the stems and set aside. Place mushroom caps on a lined baking sheet. Finely dice the mushroom stems.
- In a medium pan, warm up olive oil and lightly sauté the mushroom stems, red pepper, shallots and garlic. Remove from heat and add the cream cheese and stir until melted and well blended.
- Add salt and pepper, basil, oregano, 3 tbsp of the Parmesan and the nut (or bread) crumbs. Using a small spoon, stuff the mushroom mix evenly to the mushroom caps.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, top with remaining Parmesan, nut crumbs and chopped parsley and broil for 5 minutes.